Hanging artwork at the right height and in the right location can greatly enhance the finished look of your space. So if you’re tired of guessing where to hang your art or having walls that look like Swiss cheese, try these foolproof steps. They’ll take the guesswork out of hanging artwork perfectly every time.
1) FIND THE CENTER OF THE WALL AND/OR THE PIECE OF FURNITURE YOUR ARTWORK WILL BE CENTERED ON OR OVER. (Artwork is ideally placed either 60” from the floor to the center of the piece or approximately 6” above a piece of furniture to the bottom of the frame.)
2) MEASURE THE HEIGHT IN INCHES OF YOUR FRAMED PIECE FROM BOTTOM TO TOP.
3) DIVIDE THAT MEASUREMENT BY TWO (2).
4) ADD SIXTY (60) INCHES.
5) NOW, MEASURE THE NUMBER OF INCHES FROM THE TOP OF YOUR PIECE DOWN TO THE HOOKS AND/OR WIRE ON THE BACK.
6) SUBTRACT THAT NUMBER FROM YOUR TOTAL IN STEP 4.
7) FINALLY, MEASURE UP FROM THE FLOOR THE TOTAL NUMBER OF INCHES YOU CALCULATED IN STEP 6. THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL WANT TO PLACE YOUR HOOK(S). (Keep in mind that using multiple hooks on wire-hung artwork can raise your piece by several inches depending on the slack in the wire and how far apart you spread the hooks.)
And there you have it. By taking a minute to do some simple measurements and math, you can calculate the perfect placement of artwork every time!